Red coconut chutney is a popular South Indian food which is now popular around the world. If you have noticed, in Indian restaurants you receive a bit orange colour coconut paste when you order food such as Vade, Dosa and idli. This chutney is bit spicy but also tastes cream due to addition of fresh grated coconut as the main ingredient.
Secrets of delicious red chili chutney
If you like to prepare delicious chutney at home then you should know the best secrets of making it delicious. These are passed down from generation to generation from South Indian families. First you need to use fresh coconut. When you use it freshly grated you cannot avoid the milkfish taste. It is really delicious!
Next is all the spices attached with the recipe. Always use fresh spices. Cumin seeds always add aroma to your red chili coconut chutney.
Here is the delicious and easy recipe of Red Coconut Chutney.
Image credits: Food Corner
Red Chili coconut chutney recipe
- Total time 30m
- Preparation time 10m
- Cuisine Indian
- Calories 240
Ingredients of red coconut chutney
- ½ cup grated(fresh) coconut
- 1/2cups chickpeas lentils
- 1cup water
- 3-5 dry red chilies
- 2tsp ginger chopped
- 1tsp (as required) salt
- 1 chopped onion
- 2tsp tamarind
- Half tsp. Turmeric powder
You can increase the number of red chilies for a more spicy taste
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2tsp mustard seeds
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 2pinch asafetida
- 2tsp cooking oil
- 2-3 dry red chilies
- Put all the ingredients coconut, dry red chilies, tamarind paste, salt, garlic cloves, chopped onion turmeric paste and chickpeas lentils in the jar of a blender
- Add little water in the mixture and mix it well
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds
- Then add remaining ingredients curry leaves, asafetida and red chilies in the pan and let them crackle for 5-7 minutes
- Pour the hot tempering over the chutney and mix it well.
- Take the red chili coconut chutney in a heatproof bowl
- Now the delicious chutney is ready to serve let’s enjoy the tasty chutney with idli or dosa.
Use grated (fresh) coconut in chutney because fresh coconut is beneficial for bone health and the source of carbohydrates, proteins, and minerals. After using red chili coconut chutney for breakfast then store it in the refrigerator if you want to use it for dinner.